Academy & Evergreen Healthy Choices program celebration
On June 6th , the Academy staff and students gathered with Evergreen’s Healthy Choices team to celebrate the Healthy Choices program end. The grade 10 Physical Education class researched and planned the menu, organized logistics and (with the help of the Managing Personal and Family Resources class) generated a grocery list to feed 45 people.
Jamie, John, Jaiden, Jacob, Joseph, Chad, Grant and Theo facilitated the menu with ALL students and staff contributing to the meal preparation. The celebration meal was a huge success. The menu was delicious and the preparation flawless.
Thank you to all who made this possible!
Special thanks to Aimee and Brian at Evergreen. You were amazing program leads.
Thanks to the program funders:
This program introduced students to a variety of healthy active choices. A few highlights include:
- Food prep skills – Everyone at the Academy has knife safety mastered
- More healthy nutrition options with mastery of “from scratch recipes” – KD no more! We are all able to make Ooey Gooey Mac and Cheese!
- Food labels – Now we will read them!
- Local foods – Now we will support them!
- We are inspired to cook more often
- We are more familiar with the Toronto trail system – we biked and hiked and walked (sometimes in the rain!)
- We were outdoors! In rain and shine we built shelters, fires and maps
Check out the rest of the pictures on our Facebook Page!