The YMCA Academy is a Ministry of Education–inspected, alternative high school in downtown Toronto. Inspired and supported by the YMCA of Greater Toronto, our personal differentiated approach, specialized programs, and individualized use of assistive technology is ideally suited to students with mild learning disabilities or learning style differences.
Our school offers a safe and supportive learning environment that includes:
- Individualized Special Education support including IEP implementation, assistive technologies, and Resource and Remediation courses
- Small class sizes and personal support (classes average 8 students; staff-to-student ratio of 8:1)
- Diploma (OSSD) and Certificate (OSSC) streams
- Modern facilities including bright classrooms, fully equipped labs, and a broad range of health and fitness facilities
- Socio-emotional support including full-time Student Counsellor
- Experiential learning, workplace internships, and co-op program
- A range of academic opportunities, including Locally Developed, Applied, and College Preparation courses
- Online wireless environment with laptops for every student
- Outdoor education and year-round YMCA of Greater Toronto membership
- A broad range of extracurricular opportunities, including clubs, events, and a cross-Canada exchange
The YMCA Academy is the next step for high school students who learn differently. Book a tour or contact us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (416-928-0124) to find out more about our unique program.
Compassionate, caring teachers
I can’t say enough positive things about the school and its teachers. They really care about the kids and really understand children with LDs and learning differences. They are compassionate, caring teachers who really go the extra mile for their students and are willing to work with parents to get our children on track so they can succeed both academically and socially. It’s not just a job to them, it’s a passion. Every school should share the same philosophy. It’s about the kids and helping them succeed in life!