The YMCA Academy is a Ministry of Education–inspected, alternative high school in downtown Toronto. Inspired and supported by the YMCA of Greater Toronto, our personal differentiated approach, specialized programs, and individualized use of assistive technology is ideally suited to students with mild learning disabilities or learning style differences.
Our school offers a safe and supportive learning environment that includes:
- Individualized Special Education support including IEP implementation, assistive technologies, and Resource and Remediation courses
- Small class sizes and personal support (classes average 8 students; staff-to-student ratio of 8:1)
- Diploma (OSSD) and Certificate (OSSC) streams
- Modern facilities including bright classrooms, fully equipped labs, and a broad range of health and fitness facilities
- Socio-emotional support including full-time Student Counsellor
- Experiential learning, workplace internships, and co-op program
- A range of academic opportunities, including Locally Developed, Applied, and College Preparation courses
- Online wireless environment with laptops for every student
- Outdoor education and year-round YMCA of Greater Toronto membership
- A broad range of extracurricular opportunities, including clubs, events, and a cross-Canada exchange
The YMCA Academy is the next step for high school students who learn differently. Book a tour or contact us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (416-928-0124) to find out more about our unique program.
Motivation to succeed
My daughter started in Grade 9 this year, and it is the first time in six years that she loves going to school. Her self-esteem and self-confidence has grown immensely. For the first time in her school life, she can tell me what she is studying in each class. Previously she was never given any homework or assignments, now she willingly sits and does any work needed, including wanting to study for upcoming tests. Her motivation to succeed has skyrocketed.