The YMCA Academy is a Ministry of Education–inspected, alternative high school in downtown Toronto. Inspired and supported by the YMCA of Greater Toronto, our personal differentiated approach, specialized programs, and individualized use of assistive technology is ideally suited to students with mild learning disabilities or learning style differences.
Our school offers a safe and supportive learning environment that includes:
- Individualized Special Education support including IEP implementation, assistive technologies, and Resource and Remediation courses
- Small class sizes and personal support (classes average 8 students; staff-to-student ratio of 8:1)
- Diploma (OSSD) and Certificate (OSSC) streams
- Modern facilities including bright classrooms, fully equipped labs, and a broad range of health and fitness facilities
- Socio-emotional support including full-time Student Counsellor
- Experiential learning, workplace internships, and co-op program
- A range of academic opportunities, including Locally Developed, Applied, and College Preparation courses
- Online wireless environment with laptops for every student
- Outdoor education and year-round YMCA of Greater Toronto membership
- A broad range of extracurricular opportunities, including clubs, events, and a cross-Canada exchange
The YMCA Academy is the next step for high school students who learn differently. Book a tour or contact us by email (email@example.com) or phone (416-928-0124) to find out more about our unique program.
Performing at a much higher level
Our son was first diagnosed with ADHD and an LD in primary school. We were told he was very bright, but would require some supports to help him succeed at school. With support he fared reasonably well until high school. Even with an IEP, and additional support at home and school, his marks began to drop immediately. By his third year he was failing and not attending classes. We enrolled our son in the Academy the following year. The change we saw was almost immediate. Our son wants to attend classes at the Academy and is performing at a much higher level than his previous school. We also noticed a profound change in his mood. Since enrolling at the Academy his happiness and self-confidence have improved greatly. I would highly recommend the Academy to any parent whose child needs a truly supportive learning environment.