We have taken a momentous step! As of June 30, 2018, YMCA Academy was incorporated as a charity separate from the YMCA of Greater Toronto.
There are many reasons for this!
- We have been established for more than 15 years, and we believe the time is right to provide YMCA Academy with a higher profile and independent identity.
- We believe this will help us build awareness about the Academy as an independent school for students with learning challenges and learning differences.
- It will facilitate the recruitment of students.
- It will assist with garnering financial support for the school.
While our greater independence is important, it is also important to recognize that the support of the YMCA of Greater Toronto has been, and will continue to be, of fundamental importance to our school. We will continue to have access to these supports moving forward.
Frequently asked Questions:
Why did the YMCA of Greater Toronto incorporate YMCA Academy as a separate charitable corporation?
- With more than 15 years of success behind the YMCA Academy, the YMCA of Greater Toronto considered it time to foster a higher profile and independent identity for the school.
- To help facilitate enrolment and teacher recruitment
- To help garner financial support based on the unique stories of YMCA Academy
- To more clearly align with independent schools in Ontario
- To differentiate the school program from youth support programs offered by the YMCA of Greater Toronto
Will YMCA Academy continue to be a charity? Will I be able to make charitable donations directly to YMCA Academy?
- YMCA Academy will be an independent charity, with a unique Charitable Registration Number. Donations can be made directly to YMCA Academy, or directed donations can be made through the YMCA of Greater Toronto.
Will the school still have a Board of Directors?
- The school will have a board of directors, who will be members of the Board of Directors of the YMCA of Greater Toronto.
How will the school experience change for my child?
- There will be no change – your child will continue to experience the same high standard of education at the YMCA Academy, with access to the same range of YMCA of Greater Toronto facilities and programs we presently enjoy.
How will the teachers and staff of YMCA Academy be affected by this change in status?
- The Head of School, teachers, and staff of YMCA Academy will remain as employees of the YMCA of Greater Toronto, seconded to YMCA Academy.
How will this affect my tuition and other fees?
- There will be no direct effect on tuition and fees. As in past years, families can expect incremental increases in tuition on a yearly basis.
How will this affect the status of YMCA Academy as a Ministry of Education-inspected independent school?
- The Academy will continue to be inspected by the Ontario Ministry of Education bi-annually.