When you support The YMCA Academy, you bring learning to life for high school students with a wide range of learning style differences and needs.
For details on how you can support the Academy, contact:
Dr. Don Adams
Head of School, The YMCA Academy
Our current campaign is focused on upgrading the school’s technology resources, including:
- Additional licenses for assistive technology programs, in accordance with our students’ individual education plans (IEPs)
- Upgraded headsets and other assistive technology equipment
- Cutting-edge hardware resources, such a 3D printer, to facilitate experiential opportunities for students in our ever-expanding technology program
- Presentation equipment to accommodate students’ auditory and vision needs
- A further expansion of our laptop fleet, with a view to providing personalized hardware and software solutions for all students
Made all the difference
Our son struggled with school due to an unidentified learning disability and undiagnosed anxiety disorder. Achievement was elusive despite IEPs, accommodations, changing programs, changing schools, tutoring, summer school, and guidance counselling. Overwhelmed and unable to keep up, he developed low self-esteem and, ultimately, counterproductive coping strategies.
Once his learning style differences were identified, we were referred to The YMCA Academy. Its small classes, interesting courses, individual attention, technological support, caring environment, emphasis on respect and mindfulness, modern attractive facility, and, most of all, terrific leadership, teachers, and staff, made all the difference! They fostered his individuality, inspired his creativity, showed him how to be productive academically, and just plain let him shine. He is looking forward to exploring everything that post-secondary education has to offer and towards an inspiring and fulfilling career.